SIUE Cougar Basketball and Athletics are putting together an awesome event for Breast Cancer Awareness and Research. SIUE Campus Recreation is helping to put together some of these activities and we’re asking for your help! The main Pink Zone event will take place on Saturday, February 16 at 4pm during the SIUE Women’s Basketball game vs. Austin Peay. All breast cancer survivors are invited to attend the game, FREE of charge! Email EddietheCougar@siue.edu for more details.
SIUE Campus Recreation is supporting the Run/Walk/Bike Challenge during the Women’s Basketball game! Twenty-four runners/walkers/bikers will be exercising during the game on either a treadmill or stationary bike to promote awareness for breast cancer. As a competitor, you will collect pledges prior to and during the event for breast cancer research. If you are interested in more information, donating or exercising, please email Darleen Harmon at email@example.com.
Other fundraising activities include: Coach Buscher’s will be donating $25 for every 3-pointer made during the game; A bucket raffle will conclude during the Men’s game at 7pm; and t-shirts for sale!
Support Breast Cancer Research!
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death among women.
- 220,000 women in the U.S. are diagnosed with breast cancer each year.
- In the US, 1 woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every 3 minutes.
- In the US, 1 woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes.
- There are 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the United States.
- 70% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have no known risk factors.
- In the United Sates, about 2,140 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year.
- $114 million is currently being funded through the American Cancer Society for breast cancer research.
- 1 in 36 women will die from breast cancer.
All proceeds donated to the St. Louis affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
For more information on Pink Zone activities and contacts, see siuecougars.com/2013pinkzone.